COMPREHENSIVE GUIDELINES ON THE USE OF
LOUDSPEAKERS, FIREWORKS, PUBLIC ADDRESS SYSTEMS AND HORNS.
In reference to the direction of Hon'ble High Court Lucknow Bench in
the writ petition No. 4460 of 2000 (M/B) Jan Hitai versus The State of U.P. and others
dated 01.09.2000, Hon'ble High Court has directed the U.P. Pollution Control Board to
issue a comprehensive guideline, in respect of the use of loudspeakers, horns, sirens in
the vehicles and fireworks, on the lines issued by the Pollution Control Board, West
Bangal. Ministry of Environment and Forest, Govt. of India has issued a notification on
14.02.2000 framing the noise pollution (Control and Regulation) Rules 2000 which mandates
the State to take necessary measures for abatement of noise including noise emanating from
vehicular movements, use of loudspeakers/public address system. Ministry of Environment
and Forest Govt. of India has also notified on 05.10.1999 the noise stanndards for
AUTHORITY FOR ENFORCEMENT OF NOISE POLLUTION
The authority for enforcement of noise pollution control measures
and the due compliance of the ambient air quality standards in respect of noise has been
prescribed in the noise pollution (Regulation and Control) rules dated 14th Feb, 2000 as
"Authority means any authority of officer authorised by the
Central Govt., as the case may be, the State Government in accordance with the laws in
force and includes a District Magistrate, Police Commissioner or any other officer
designed for the maintenance of the ambient air quality standards in respect of noise
under any law for the time being in force."
For complying with the directions dated 01.09.2000 of the Hon'ble
High Court Lucknow Bench and for implementation of Noice Pollution Control Act as per the
notifications issued by Govt. of India on 14.02.2000 and 05.10.99 the following guidelines
are being proposed for the use of loud speakers, fireworks, public address system and
- GUIDELINES IN RESPECT OF USE OF LOUDSPEAKER FOR PUBLIC AT
- Loudspeaker should not be allowed to be operated after 10 PM and
before 6 AM and all loudspeakers should be fitted with "SOUND LIMITER".
- Loudspeaker should not be allowed to operate for any time in the
silence zone i.e. 100 Mtrs. around the premises like Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Educational
Institutions and Courts. (Restriction of use of loudspeaker should be operative so far as
school, educational institution, college court and library are concerned upto the working
- During the time of the use of loudspeaker, following ambient noise
levels should be maintained as per the standard specified in notification dated 14th Feb.
2000 of Ministry of Environment & Forest, Govt. of India.
||75 dB (A) Leq*
||70 dB (A) Leq
||65 dB (A) Leq
||55 dB (A) Leq
||55 dB (A) Leq
||45 dB (A) Leq
||50 dB (A) Leq
||40 dB (A) Leq
* dB (A) Leq denotes the time weighted average of the
level of sound in decibels on scale A which is relatable to human hearing.
(i) Day time reckoned in between 6.00 AM to 10.00 PM.
(ii) Night time is reckoned in between 10.00 PM to 6.00 AM
- Loudspeaker in the permissible time should not be allowed to use
without prior permission of the prescribed authority as mentioned in noise pollution
(Regulation and Control) Rules dt. 14.02.2000
- During the time of any function the barricating of streets should be
restricted so as not to create any traffice jam.
- GUIDELINES IN RESPECT OF USE OF LOUDSPEAKERS BY POLITICAL
- Loudspeakers should not be allowed to operate after 10 PM and before
6 AM and all loudspeakers should be fitted with 'sound-limiters'.
- During the permissible time of the use of loudspeakers, noise level
should be maintained as per the standards in the Noise Pollution (Regulation &
Control) Rules dated 14.02.2000 of Ministry of Environment & Forest, Govt. of India.
- Loudspeaker should not be allowed to be used without prior permission
of prescribed authority as mentioned in Noise Pollution (Regulation & Control) Rules
14.02.2000 of Ministry of Environment & Forest Govt. of India.
- During the time of any meeting in the street, necesary passage should
be kept free for passers by.
- GUIDELINES/NORMS FOR FIXATION OF SOUND LIMITERS WITH LOUDSPEAKERS:
- Loudspeakers should not be used or letout without Sound-limiter for
the purpose of use in open air.
- Sound-limiter will control the noise level of the loudspeakers as per
the prescribed ambient noise standards fixed up in Noise Pollution (Regulation &
Control) Rules dt. 14.02.2000.
- GUIDELINES IN RESPECT OF USE OF LOUDSPEAKERS IN OPEN AIR CULTURAL
- Between 6.00 AM to 10.00 PM loudspeakers can be used in a cultural or
any other function maintaining the stipulated noise level as per the notification dt.
14.02.2000 of Ministry of Environment & Forest, Govt. of India.
- After 10.00 PM cultural functions can be arranged, within a
temporarily covered area with sound absorbing materials, provided.
- Maintaining the ambient noise level outside. The covered
area as prescribed in notification dated 14.02.2000 of Ministry of Environment &
Forest Govt. of India.
- No loudspeaker should be fitted or operated outside such
covered area and that only box type loudspeakers should be used inside the covered area.
- Before organising any cultural function, permission should
be obtained from the prescribed authority as mentioned in the notification dt. 14.02.2000
of Ministry of Environment & Forest, Govt. of India. During the time of any function
in the street, necessary passage should be kept free for passers by.
- RESTRICTIONS FOR OPEN AIR FUNCTION DURING EXAMINATION:
- Three days before important examinations such as secondary
examination or Higher Secondary Examination where interests of large number of students
are involved and till such examinations are over, no open air function should be
- RESTRICTION IN SALE AND USE OF FIRE WORKS:
- Fire works, generating sound level exceeding 125 dB (AI) or 145 dB
(C) pk noise from four metre distance from the point of bursting, should not be allowed
for sale or use for any purpose. For individual fire cracker constituting the series
(joined fire crackers) the above mentioned noise limit be reduced by 5 Log 10 (N) dB.
where N= number of crackers joined together as specified in notification dated 5th Oct,
1999 of Ministry of Environment & Forest, Govt. of India.
- All fire cracker manufacturers should be directed to print the noise
level in decibel on the carton/packet of the fire cracker.
- Forest Deptt. and Airport Authority may use fire works generating
noise level more than 125 dB (AI) for their official purpose with prior permission of U.P.
- RESTRICTION IN USE OF HORNS/SIRENS IN THE VEHICLES:
- No motor vehicle shall be fitted with any multitone horn or other
sound producing devices as prescribed in Motor Vehicle Act, 1998.
- Sirens/hooters are allowed for ambulance, fire fighting vehicles and
other vehicles as specified in Motor Vehicle Act, 1988.